Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Homemade Go-gurts

Homemade Go-Gurts

by Crystal on October 25, 2011
Update: The recipe for Homemade Yogurt in the Crockpot is here.
Guest post by Angie
My kids barely know what a Go-Gurt is, but since I’ve been making yogurt by the crockpot full, I thought making homemade yogurt tubes would be a fun way to eat it up as well as travel with.
First, I made a batch of yogurt in my crockpot (I add in 3/4 cup powdered milk to the initial milk to improve the consistency). Milk in my area is about $3/gallon and I usually use a half-gallon, so between the milk and the two other ingredients I used (3/4 cup powdered milk and ½ cup yogurt), I estimate it costs me about $2 for a half gallon of yogurt.

I divided it into four different bowls and added one of the following to each bowl:
* Strawberry jam (1/2 cup) and sugar (1/4 cup)
* Chocolate pudding mix (1 small box)
* Vanilla pudding mix (1 small box)
* Lime juice (1/4 cup) and sugar (1/4 cup)

(Two of the flavors)
Then, I put ½ cup of the flavored yogurt in a SNACK-size baggie and squeezed out the air.  I folded it over and secured it with tape.  After laying them down flat on a cookie sheet (shown is a mini bar pan), I put them in the freezer.
When they were frozen, I cut off the end with some scissors and my kids (and I) did a happy dance.

I made 22 “go-gurts” from the batch of yogurt and they came out to be about $.09/piece.
You can also make homemade popsicles with these ingredients, but in the baggies, they were basically spill-proof and easy to travel with—which is what I was hoping for!

No comments:

Post a Comment